SVRC Scholarship Program
David Thoms Memorial Scholarship
The SVRC scholarship fund was established in 2007 in memory of David Thoms, a SVRC member, gentle soul, friend and dedicated runner. The program is funded through individual donations, funds from the club sponsored races and business contributions.
The Dave Thoms Memorial Fund was created as a way to invest back into the local community of Morgan Hill, San Martin and Gilroy. It is also a way to reward, encourage, and recognize our local running youth who have achieved athletic success in the context of the sport of running. The scholarship rewards strong academics and those who have demonstrated both citizenship and good sportsmanship.
The scholarship committee consists of the Board of Directors of SVRC and is chaired by the club president
- High School seniors graduating from any of the Morgan Hill or Gilroy high schools in the spring semester.
- Enrollment into a full time study program (12 hours) that will lead to either an Associate’s or Baccalaureate degree. Applicants to provide acceptance letter from institution.
- Passionate participation as a runner in either cross country and/or track & field in their junior and senior years of high school.
- Unweighted GPA of 2.5 or higher as demonstrated by a provided transcript.
- Provide list of extracurricular activities and community involvement.
- Displays exemplary citizenship and good sportsmanship on their running teams.
- Planning to continue running in college and beyond.
- Demonstrates a financial need/ hardship
It will be the sole discretion of the scholarship committee to determine the best candidate(s) among those applying each year and the level of funding.
Scholarships may be granted to an individual or divided among multiple recipients at the discretion of the scholarship committee. Scholarships are awarded one time. The scholarship committee can choose not to award any funds in a given year.
Use of Funds and Distribution:
The award is intended for the use of the recipient in pursuit of post secondary education. Funds will be issued directly to the student.
- Complete the Application Form.
- Provide an official transcript including the first semester of the senior year in high school.
- Submit two letters of reference;
- One must be from a track or cross country coach.
- One may be from a person of applicant’s choice who is not a relative (school guidance counselor, teacher or other non-relative.
- Personal essay.
- Provide confirmation of acceptance into a 2/4 year college/university program.
- Be prepared for a telephone or personal interview if asked.
- Indicate why you qualify for this scholarship.
- Must be typed.
- Essay should be between 1-2 pages in length.
- Discuss lessons learned from running. What have you learned about yourself from running? Why is running important to you?
- Give an example of a time when running has helped you in a challenging situation.
- How do you see yourself integrating running into your future?
- What impact would receiving the scholarship have on your future?
Application Deadline and Notification of Award:
Submit your application and additional required documents no later than April 3rd. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered for review.
Award winners if any will be notified by May 8, 2020.
For questions please email: President@svrchome.org
Send Application and Required Attachments To:
Attention: Scholarship Committee
South Valley Running Club
P.O. Box 323
San Martin, CA. 95046-0323